William Mark Parry
Curriculum Vitae w/ Historic Architectural Focus.
- West Valley College: 1980-1982 Associate of Science ; Architecture - Deans Honor's
- Arizona State University: 1982-1987 BSD-Arch. Studies BSD Interior Arch. (concurrently)
Architectural history course work with esteemed professor or Architectural History:
Marcus Whiffen: 1916-2002 was Educated at Cambridge G.B. in 1937, completed his MA at the same institution in 1946. He had an international reputation as a scholar in the field of architectural history began on the staff of Architect & Building News (London) in 1937. From 1946-1952, he was Assistant Editor for the Architectural Review (London). 1952, he held lecturer positions at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and then at the University of Texas before becoming Architectural Historian at Colonial Williamsburg (1954-1959). Professor Whiffen was associated with Arizona State University in various positions from 1960 until his death in February, 2002. Writing numerous books and articles throughout his carrier.
- Catholic University: 1986 Graduate Summer Program student assistant and self directed work in Washington D.C with extensive personal studies and tours in the Smithsonian. Special research on Jefferson’s books on Palladio in the Library of Congress, and the Lefonte plan of D.C. with research work guided by Professor Max Underwood.
- Volunteer archivist assistant: 1986-1988 with Bruce Phieffer; Docent and Studio Draftsman under Chief Architect John Rattenbury with the Frank Lloyd Wight Foundation Scottsdale Arizona
- Over Seas Study: 1985 ASU sponsored Study Program in Italy W/ Professor Lisa Findley; Dr. Paul Zegas Including: Venecia Revenna, Veneto, Padova, Verona, Florence, Spoleto., A mentored independent study program included subsequent travels and studies in Italian Urban Squares also with Dr. Paul Zegas. Further Independent study of the architecture of Andre Palladio in Viceza, Maser, Traviso, Roma Further travel included in Naploi, Ostia Antique, Pompeii and the Greek Isle of Paxos, and finally Athens Greece.
From 1990-1998 WM. Mark Parry was the last associate of
Calvin C Straub FAIA (1920-1998)
Considered by some to be “the father of California post and beam architecture” and a second-generation Art's and Crafts architect, Calvin Straub was also a professor of Architecture at ASU and USC. He did extensive world travel and some overseas instruction in the antiquities of Greek and Roman Architecture. He had prominent firms in California and Arizona. Buff, Straub, and Hensman (1959-61) participated in the Case Study Program (#20,28). The firm was widely published in Sunset Magazine and other national and international publications. Cal also partnered in Arizona with Schoneburger, Straub, Florence & Associates (1972-75).
Mr. Straub's contribution to contemporary/modern architecture was the integration of the international style/ open space planning while maintaining the warmth and humanity of the craftsmen ideal. This was done through the use of a contemporary Japanese aesthetic. He also contributed to the developing Sonora desert regional architecture of south west Arizona.
Professional Affiliations recognition and education through:
- Founding Principle with Idea Studios founded December 1988
Studio projects include residential, specialty commercial and hospitality properties. We specialize in Historic Rehabilitation, Preservation and Restoration.
- Registered Architect CBAE C-25471 March 6-1995
- Professional Corporation William Mark Parry Architect PC. 2000
Independent Educational Courses: offerings in Architecture, History, Preservation
- AIA American Institute of Architecture (Since 1999)
- CPF California Preservation Foundation(Since 2007)
- SAH Society of Architectural Historians(Since 2008)
- CSI Construction Specifications Institute (2010)
- 2008 Merit award for Cultural Enrichment for preservation work by the city of Santa Rosa
- 2010 Council Appointed Member of the Santa Rosa Design Review Board.
Courses offered through Santa Rosa Junior College Community Education.
Special Projects: Preservation district survey’s and establishment work.
- Insiders Guide to design and Construction: 1995-2007
- Historic Walking Tours: 1995- Santa Rosa, yesterday, today and tomorrow.
- Survey of Residential Architecture: 1997-2001 A survey course of the prevalent American styles of architecture and those most prominent in the west and the forces the influenced them.
- Preserving our Architectural heritage: 2009 A review of Local, State and National preservation processes and issues. Also special projects to survey preservation district or historic resources. Includes survey of residential architecture and character defining elements.
Historic Rehabilitation or Preservation: projects as Architect of Record
- 1995 Community driven process assistant in the creation of:
Burbank Gardens Preservation District. Local Designation
- 2007 Community process chair of committee to create the:
Ridgway Historic Neighborhood District. Local Designation
- 2010 800 residence District survey for Junior College Historic District through a community effort and Santa Rosa Junior College course work.
Architectural work completed in accord with the Secretary of the Interiors standards or in accordance with local ordinances or standards for Historic Properties or properties within Historic Districts. As reviewed by the Santa Rosa Cultural Heritage board
- Steel Inn Preservation project 1915- Mark Parry’s family’s vacation home on the Russian River was built in 1915-1936 Designed by San Francisco Architect William Steel, It was built from materials salvaged from the 1915 world’s fair. It has been in continues use and preservation with minimal changes since completion in the mid 1930-50’s. An ongoing study in preservation cultural changes. It is very cool aka Bohemian Grove/ open air camp/pavilions, Published in Sunset magazine in 1951.
- Pamela Jasper addition- 1995: McDonald Historic District, Santa Rosa Cal.
- Animal Hospital of Sebastopol. 1996: Historic Rehabilitant/Adaptive Re-use of 1890’s home into Veterinary hospital-Sebastopol Cal.
- Vine Hill Inn 1996: Historic Rehabilitation/Adaptive Re-use/interpretive rehabilitation of 1870’s Farm House into Bed & Breakfast Inn. Sebastopol Calif.
- Plam Residence 1996 : Historic Rehabilitation of 1920’s Vernacular Calistoga Farm house.
- Sandborn Residence 1998:1890’s folk Victorian farm house with 1920’s craftsman remodeling. Was rehabilitated with some interpretive restoration.
- Inn@Occidental 1999-01 Historic Rehabilitation and Renovations to 1890’s Queen Ann Residence previously converted into a B&B inn in Occidental Calif. A historic lumber camp. Renovated historic inn, adding commercial kitchen, dining & patio. 8 room detached addition designed in keeping with the context but when constructed the plans where modified and not fully executed by the owner/contractor.
- Bauer Rehabilitation 1999 Italianate 1890’s farm house restoration/rehabilitation.
- Nickens Addition/Rehabilitation 2001 Addition and Rehabilitation of 1915 craftsman bungalow and in Olive Street preservation district.
- Fuss Leonard Salon 1999 renovation of salon interior in Landmark Structure in Historic District
- Peterson Residence 2006: Historic Interpretation/Restoration of Rogers Bungalow from 1950’s remuddle to interpretive “Rogers” Bungalow restoration. In St. Rose Preservation District.
- Wholert Residence 2006 Addition to residence in McDonald Preservation District
- Annex Galleries 2006 Historic Facade interpretive rehabilitation with ADA improvements.
- Kings Chapel 2007 Historic Addition to 1890’s Gothic Revival Church in Cherry Street Preservation District
- Morgan Street Cottage Court 2008 Project for 8 unit Nuevo Victorian residential infill units in the Historic Ridgway Neighborhood preservation district. (design only)
- 2008-2012 The Comstock House Restoration/Preservation work and Registration on the National Registry of Historic Places. Jay Longfellow assistant. A 1905 Eastern Shingle Style home designed by famed North Bay artisan architect Brainerd Jones. Built as a residence of James Oats owned subsequently his partner Judge Hilliard Comstock. This magnificent and rare home is entirely original, and is being Preserved/Restored and the kitchen rehabilitated while using the architects original plans and specifications.
- 2010-2011 Julian Morgan green house addition. A new green house as a second floor to new garage at the historic foot print for the original garage. The project is in a Petaluma historic preservation district. The original residence house was designed by Julia Morgan. Initial Conceptual design by M.A.D. architecture with revisions and construction documents by Wm. Mark Parry.
California History: a family tradition. Wm. Mark Parry’s family patriarch W. Bleacher immigrated to San Francisco in 1863 from northern Germany. It is understood he was the first farm inspector for the City of San Francisco; He and subsequently his son’s owned the last undeveloped hillside and farm in Daily City until 1970’s. His sister Ann & Burt Rumsey had small farm in Redwood City near the town of Atherton. Mrs. Barbra Jean Parry a High School English Teacher, researched and toured with Mark the California Mother Load region during the early 1970’s in preparation for a thesis for a Master’s of California History through Sacrament State University. This early awareness and education in history, preservation and historic structures, sites, and their historical and cultural context where foundational for Mark’s architectural and historical interest and current practice.
Independent Study of historic properties or districts
Mark’s father was in Management at United Airlines providing Mark with write your tickets for travel and facilitating extensive independent studies as a youth. He focused specifically on historic America, including, Richmond VI.; Philadelphia PE. Pittsburgh PE; Cambridge MA; Boston MA,; Baltimore Ma.; Kennebunkport ME, Portland ME, New York NY, Kentucky, Richmond Vi.; Charlottesville VI.; Columbus OH.: Charleston WI; Washington DC. Georgetown DC. Chicago IL Cincinnati Oh. Pasadena CA.,
This passion for travel and independent study of historic architecture has lead to continued touring throughout Marks carrier of historical significant districts, land marks and regions including: San Simeon Ca. CaDaZan- Sarasota Fl, Monticello VI. Cape Cod, Nantucket, New Port R.I, Gatlinburg TN. Cades Cove TN. The Biltmore Estate NC., Saint Lewis Mo. Atlanta GA. St.Petersburg FA Volcano CA, Virginia City NA, Tucson AZ, Tempe AZ, and Phoenix Willow district. Scottsdale AZ. Monterey CA, San Diego CA, Virginia City NA, Nevada City NA, Mendocino CA., Seattle Wa, Portland OR.